Muskingum Watershed Conservancy Foundation awards 9 grants
July 31, 2014
Nine grants worth nearly $16,000 have been approved by the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy Foundation (MWCF) for environmental education, law enforcement and safety equipment, and park amenities.
Grant assistance has been approved by the MWCF Board of Trustees for the following projects:
- $1,000 to the Muskingum County Soil and Water Conservation District to support the Kids Conservation Camp, a biweekly summer environmental education program.
- $2,250 to the Tappan Lake Volunteer Fire Department to purchase a rapid deployment craft for its Regional Dive Team to provide enhanced rescue capabilities.
- $2,861 to Charles Mill Lake Park to purchase an automated external defibrillator and picnic table for the Messerly Recreation Center.
- $1,848 to Charles Mill Lake Park to purchase window treatments for the Messerly Recreation Center.
- $600 to the Buckeye Hills Resource Conservation and Development Council for updating and printing the Ohio Mineland Partnership informational brochure.
- $1,080 to Charles Mill Lake Park to purchase patrol and surveillance binoculars for Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District (MWCD) rangers at Charles Mill Lake Park and Pleasant Hill Lake Park.
- $498 to Charles Mill Lake Park to purchase safety steps for the activity stage.
- $4,500 to Charles Mill Lake Park to purchase vinyl roll-up doors for the Messerly Recreation Center.
- $1,000 to Charles Mill Lake Park to install a monument to memorialize former MWCD Ranger James R. Pitney.
In another matter, the MWCF Board of Trustees announced its 16th Annual Golf Outing will be held Aug. 14 at Oak Shadows Golf Club in New Philadelphia. The event currently has 11 Gold Sponsors: DLZ Corp., Hull and Associates, W.E. Quicksall and Associates, Beaver Excavating, Chesapeake Energy, Pissocra-Mathias Realty, Hammontree and Associates, MS Consultants, URS, Stantec Consulting Services and KeyBank.
Team registration is no longer available, as the maximum number of teams has registered for this outing.
For more details about the golf outing or to learn more about exciting sponsorship opportunities, please visit www.muskingumfoundation.org, or contact Nick Lautzenheiser toll-free at (877) 363-8500 Ext. 2506.
The MWCF is a publicly supported charitable organization organized in 1996 that is dedicated to supporting the mission of the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District (MWCD). While the MWCF is completely independent from the MWCD, with its own Board of Trustees, it has developed charitable funds that support improvements and programs on and around MWCD facilities. Since 2004, the MWCF Board of Trustees has awarded more than $286,000 for 57 projects in and around the Muskingum Watershed.
The MWCD, a political subdivision of the state, was organized in 1933 to develop and implement a plan to reduce flooding and conserve water for beneficial public uses in the Muskingum River Watershed, the largest wholly contained watershed in Ohio. Since their construction, the 16 reservoirs and dams in the MWCD region have been credited for saving an estimated $11.1 billion worth of potential property damage from flooding, according to the federal government, as well as providing popular recreational opportunities that bolster the region’s economy. A significant portion of the reservoirs are managed by the MWCD and the dams are managed for flood-risk management by the federal U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE).
For more information about the MWCD, visit www.mwcd.org and follow the MWCD on Facebook and Twitter.
### - END - ###« Back to News