Credit Program FAQs
- What is an assessment credit?
- Who/What is eligible?
- I own a residential and/or agricultural property. Why is it not eligible for consideration of a financial credit?
- I already pay an assessment to a municipality or other entity for stormwater management. Why does that not qualify my property for an automatic credit?
- How much credit can my property receive?
- What makes a property eligible for credit?
- How will I receive the financial credit if my parcel(s) qualifies?
- How do I apply for credit for my parcel(s)? What is the deadline?
- Do I have to apply every year to receive credit once it has been approved?
- If I make changes to my parcel(s) and believe they make it eligible for additional credit, what should I do?
- Will you visit my parcel(s) to inspect the items eligible for credit?
- Can I speak to someone about my parcel(s) prior to preparing the application?
- Who makes the determination about whether a parcel(s) qualifies for the credit?
- A dollar amount for the benefit to my property has been assigned and is listed on the assessment review page. If my property receives a credit, will the benefit be reduced by a like amount?
|Q||What is an assessment credit?|
|A||An assessment credit is a reduction in a property owner's assessment to be paid to the MWCD for implementation of a best management practice on the property that produces water quality improvements?|
|Q||How much credit can my property receive?|
|A||An individual parcel can receive a credit (reduction) of up to 30 percent off the annual overall assessment.|
|Q||What makes a property eligible for credit?|
|A||In order for a parcel to be eligible for a credit, the parcel's Equivelent Residential Unit (ERU) must be greater than one (greater than an annual assessment of $12) and the Assessment Use Code (AUC) must not be Residential (R), Agricultural (A), or Vacant (V). For a complete list of credits offered for individual projects, click here.|
|Q||Do I have to apply every year to receive credit once it has been approved? |
|A||Once a credit application has been approved, it applies for five years. A new application is required at the end of each approved five-year period.|
|Q||If I make changes to my parcel(s) and believe they make it eligible for additional credit, what should I do?|
|A||A new application can be submitted to provide for consideration of the update(s).|
|Q||Will you visit my parcel(s) to inspect the items eligible for credit? |
|A||The MWCD reserves the right to review all parcels of property seeking credit during the application process and after eligibility has been granted.|
|Q||Who makes the determination about whether a parcel(s) qualifies for the credit?|
|A||MWCD staff members will review all applications and determine eligibility based upon the credits criteria.|